Biography and Notes
After an apprenticeship in a Spanish business in Exeter he was from 1778 to 1789 a merchant there exporting woollen cloth to Spain and elsewhere; also from 1785 to 1789 a partner in a firm styled Gibbs Granger & Banfill, working a cloth factory at Exwick in the outskirts of Exeter. His father financed him and was also in the Exwick partnership. He was a member 1778 - 1789 of the Incorporation of Tuckers Hall, Exeter; head warden 1782, master 1783. Bankrupt in 1789 (alike with his father), he went to Madrid and for the next 18 years was engaged in business which centred in Spain. Mainly working as agent for British manufacturers he was at times (from 1783) also exporting Spanish produce as partner in a firm at Malaga styled Juan Pomar Gibbs y Compania. Driven out of Spain by war in 1797 he conducted his business from 1798 to 1801 in Lisbon, but in 1802 became regularly established in Cadiz as a merchant there, till war again forced him away. His last visit to Spain was in 1807. In 1808 he became one of the Commissioners in London for dealing with Portuguese property sent to England in the war, and in September that year founded, in partnership with his son George Henry, the firm of Antony Gibbs & Son, London, with a branch in Cadiz. The firm became Antony Gibbs & Sons in 1813 on admission of his second son William to the partnership. He was author of a pamphlet signed "A Merchant," An Appeal to Common Sense on the Bullion Question, published 1810. After his marriage he and his wife lived in Exeter 1784-6, at Exwick House 1786-9, in Madrid 1789-92. From 1792 to 1808 their home was in Exeter or its neighbourhood (at Cowley 1803-8), but in that period he made ten trips to the Peninsula of an average duration of 12 months each. The family moved to London in 1808 and lived in Great Russell Street, Bloomsbury, 1808-9; Denmark Hill, Camberwell, 1809-10; Dulwich Common, 1810-12; 2 Powis Place in the parish of St George the Martyr, Bloomsbury, 1812 onwards.