Rev. John Lomax Gibbs

Born1832 11 Bedford Square, London
Died1914 Speen House, Berkshire
FatherGeorge Henry Gibbs (1785 – 1842)
MotherCaroline Crawley (1794 – 1850)

Life Events

1842Death of father George Henry Gibbs
1850Death of mother Caroline Crawley
1860Married Isabel Marianne Bright in Speen House, Berkshire
1860Birth of son John Arthur Gibbs
1862Birth of daughter Caroline Blanche Gibbs
1862Birth of daughter Isabel Alice Gibbs
1865Birth of son Robert Tyndall Gibbs
1867Birth of son Rev. Reginald Gibbs
1869Birth of son Francis Lomax Gibbs
1871Birth of daughter Mary Beatrice Gibbs
1872Birth of daughter Ethel Constance Gibbs
1886Death of daughter Mary Beatrice Gibbs

Biography and Notes

8th son of George Henry Gibbs of London. Baptised 26 May 1832 at St.-Giles-in-the-Fields, Holborn. Educated at Eton College 1834-35 and Charterhouse, London, 1846-7. Matric at Oxford (Exeter College), 24 Oct. 1849, BA, a 'grand compounder, MA, 1856. Buried 15 January 1914 at Speen. Will proved 17 February 1914.

To add to the facts about education, he went to a school at Brighton about six or seven, and then to one at Clifton, Bristol. After Charterhouse he was, 1948-9, with a tutor, the rector of Poundstock, Cornwall. Joined Antony Gibbs & Sons, London, 1854, but left them 1856 through ill-health, and in every year 1851 to 58 he travelled much abroad, particularly in Spain, and (1857-8) up the Nile and in Palestine. A student at Wells Theological College 1858. Ordained Deacon (Exeter) 1959, Priest 1860. Curate at St. Mary's, Torwood, Torquay, to Rev. J. Hogg 1859-1860, when his health drove him abroad again (Pyrenees) with his wife and first-born. Living at Bradeham, Bucks., 1863-4. Perpetual Curate of Clifton Hampden, Oxon., 1864 (presented by his brother Henry Hucks Gibbs), but resigned work in 1874 from the same cause as before. His parsonage there was what is now the Manor House. Resided at Oaklands, Cleveland, Somerset, 1874-8. Vicar of Exwick, Devon, 1878-85; Rector of Clyst St. George, Devon 1885-97 (presented to both by Antony Gibbs). Retired and resided at Speen House, Berks., 1898-1914. Editor of 'The Registers of Clyst St. George', published 1899 by The Parish Resigter Society. Member of the Athenauem Club, London, 1863-86. His diaries 1851-1912 (52 vols.), last in possession of John Arthur Gibbs in 1932 are now missing. The volume of his 'Reminiscences' (MS.) from c.1840 to 1910, now in the possession of Denis D. Gibbs.

Portraits: Oil 1858 by E.U. Eddis in possession of Lord Aldenham (1932); oil (c. 1902) by A. Macdonald, last in possession of George Medley; a posthumous one painted 1921 (from a photo of about 1910) by Ronald Gray in possession of Denis D. Gibbs; a chalk drawing by E.U. Eddis (c. 1859) last in possession of Francis L. Gibbs in 1932; a pastel by E. Havell (1887) last in possession of Francis L. Gibbs in 1932.