Biography and Notes
1st son, 2nd Lord Aldenham (1907) of Aldenham and Clifton Hampden. Born at Naples 23 and baptised there privately by Embassy Chaplain 25 April and received into the Church 18 October 1846 at Clifton Hampden. Educated at Eton College 1860-1: matric at Oxford (Christ Church) 1865, B.A. 1870, M.A. 1881. Died 9 May 1936.
He succeeded to the estate of Clifton Hampden (Oxon. & Berks) and to the lordship of the manor of Clifton Hampden by gift from his father in 1902. The Vicarage there became his Manor House in 1905 & he enlarged it. He built new cottages in Clifton Hampden and added to his lands, which in 1927 consisted of the whole of Clifton Hampden & extended into Burcot, Toot Baldon, Dorchester, and Long Wittenham, in all about 1780 ac. On his father's death in 1907 the life tenancy of the Aldenham estates passed to him, comprising at that date 3,060 ac. in Herts and 106 in Middlesex. Patron of the Livings of Aldenham (from 1907) and Clifton Hampden (from 1905). He entered Antony Gibbs & Sons 1870, partner from 1873, head from 1907. During his headship the firm opened a Branch in N. York (1913). Visited Australia 1881-2 when the firm entered into business there. Director of the Guardian Assurance Co. from 1871; the Universal Marine Insce. Co. 1875-87; the Bank of Australasia from 1887; and director of other public Cos. In the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths (livery 1897, assistant 1900, prime warden 1908-9) and also in the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers (master). Contested Abingdon for Parliament 1880. Followed his father as M.P. (Conservative) for the City of London, 8 July 1892. In 1904 he and his brother Vicary vacated their seats (under an Act of George III) owing to the fact that as partners in A. Gibbs & Sons they had contracted with our Government to sell them Chilean Warships. He was at once re-elected by the City. Elected again by the City in 1906 for the new Parliament, he retired in favour of the Right Hon. Arthur Alfour (ex-premier). President of the London Institution 1906-13. Fellow of the Royal Colonial Institute. President of the City of London Conservative Association from 1908. Commissioner of Lieutenancy for the City of London from 1892: Commissioner of income and land tax for the same from 1892. A Governor of Aldenham School of income and land tax for the same from 1892. A Governor of Aldenham school 1907-13. Sometime Treasurer of the National Society and later Treasurer of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, the Royal School for Deaf and Dumb children at Margate, the Colonial Bishoprics' Fund, and the Additional Curates Society. As a Freemason, was Grand Warden of England in Craft Masonry, Deputy Grand Mark Master of English, and the Provincial Grand Mark Master of Kent. Member of the Roxburgh Club (vice-president 1911, president in succession to Lord Rosebery from 1929) to which he contributed the 'Life of St. Katherine' edited by his father (1884), and (in 1908) by his father's wishes 'The Mirrour of the Lyf. of Jesu Christ'. Member of the Club 'Nobody's Friends', from 1875 (president from 1913). Among other Clubs, sometime member of the Athenaeum, the Carlton, the City Carlton from 1891 (Chairman 1908-26, President from 1930, Trustee for the Club and its Debenture holders over many years), the City of London from 1869 (Chairman 1891-4; Trustee from 1907). Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries. He printed, 1914, 'Catalogue of the Aldenham Library' by Helen Budd, being a revision of the catalogues printed by his father. Editor of a booklet of 'Extracts from the diary of G.H. Gibbs' being a reprint from the Gt. Western Railway Magazine of 1909-10. Residences: 13 Park Square, Marylebone, 1875-8; 82 Portland Pace, 1878-1907; 37 Portland Place from 1907; the Manor House, Clifton Hampden from 1905; in Scotland The Dell, Rothemurchus, 1883-9; Invergeldie, Comrie, 1890-5.
Portraits: One by H. Herkomer, a miniature by Angelo Tricca of Florence, 1858, a chalk drawing (aged 13) with his father by E.U. Eddis and another by W.E. Miller, all 4 in his own possession. Portrait by Lady Cokayne, 1922, in possession of A. Gibbs and Sons.