Biography and Notes
3rd son, born at Frognal, aforesaid, 12 May and baptised 24 June 1853 at St. John's Hampstead. Educated Eton college 1867-72. Matric at Oxford (Christ Church) 12 February 1873. 3rd Class Mods, 1874, B.A. 1876. Died 13 January 1932 at 12 Upper Belgrave St., Westminster, buried at Aldenham 16 May 1930, Will 27 May 1930, proved 15 June 1932.
Barrister (of Lincoln's Inn); called 1880; was Marshal to Chief Justice Lord Coleridge on the Western Circuit, Partner in Antony Gibbs & Sons 1882-1932 (with Antony Gibbs Sons & Co., in Liverpool 1881-3 and with Gibbs Bright & Co. in Australia & New Zealand 1883-4). Visited Barbadoes, for the firm 1882 and Ceylon 1884-5. Director of (among other concerns) The Queensland National Bank 1885-99; The Universal Marine Insce. Co. sometime from 1887; the Alianza (Nitrate) Co. 1896-1928; The National Provident Institution from 1902-32 (chairman from 1904); The Sulphide Corp. (1907-32), all in the City of London. A Governor of Aldenham Grammar school 1893-1911. Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Church of England Waifs and Strays Soc. 1912-32. On the Council of Keble College Oxford 1906-21 (hon. member 1922-32). M.P. (Conservative) for Mid-Herts 16 July 1892. Vacated his seat February 1904 as explained under entry for Alban Gibbs. Contested unsuccessfully Mid. Herts. 1904 and Bradford Central 1906. A vice-president of the Royal Horticultural Society and holder of their 'Victoria Medal of Honour in Horticulture' conferred on him 1916. He made the gardens of Aldenham House to be of world-wide fame. An editor up to 1932 of the 2nd edition of G.E. Cokayne's 'The Complete Peerage' (undertaken at his sole expense till 1923): editor-in-chief of the first 5 vols. published 1910-21. Among other pamphlets, author of 'Municipal Tradition (1902)', 'Planing for winter and autumn effect (1905)', 'Oaks at Aldenham (1920)' and other botanica papers. Member of 'Nobody's Friends' from 1883 (Treasurer & Secretary 1889-1923), the Carlton Club from 1892 and the Athenaeum Club from 1895. He and his sister lived with their father and on is death they sold the lease of St. Dunstan's, Regent's Park, which he left them, taking 12 Upper Belgrave St., Westminster, for their London residence while continuing to occupy Aldenham House as tenants of their brother Alban Lord Aldenham.
Portraits: Drawing by W. E. Miller 1882, and one in a group with his mother & bro. Herbert by E.U. Eddis 1860, both in possession of Lord Aldenham. Oil by T.B. Wirgman in his own possession in 1931 (copy by Miss Richardson in possession of A. Gibbs & Sons). Oil by R. G. Eves in possession of National Provident Institution.