Biography and Notes
4th son of Henry Hucks (Gibbs) Lord Aldenham, of Briggens, Herts. Baron Hunsdon of Hunsdon (created 1923). born at Frognall in Hampstead, London and baptised 23 June 1854 at St. John's Hampstead. Educated at Winchester College, 1868-71. Matric. Cambridge (Trinity College) 1873; B.A. 1877, M.A. 1884. Died 22 May 1935 at Briggens and was buried 25 May 1935 at St. Dunstan's, Hunsdon.
After a course of training (1877-9) in the offices of Wallace Bros. London; Ventura Marco del Pont, Paris; Gibbs Brighton & Co., Liverpool; and Henry Bath & Son, Swansea; he joined Antony Gibbs & Sons 1879; was with their Chilean Branch, Gibbs & Co., 1880-1, and a manager thereof 1881: a manager of the London firm 1881 and a partner thereof from 1882. Original Chairman of the Alianza (Nitrate) Co. Ld., 1895-1928, and of the Pan de Azucar Nitrate Co., Ld., 1901-26; Director of the Rio de Janeiro City Improvements Co. Ld. from 1884 and Chairman from 1905: Director of the Australian Mutual Provdent Soc. from 1908: and sometime Director of other public companies. Chairman of the City of London Conservative Association Sep. 1912 to 1932. On the Public Works Loan Board from July 1884 (dep. Chairman 1908-21, Chairman from 1921). Justice of the Peace for Herts, from 1916. High Sheriff of Herts. for 1913. He was a member of the Deputation sent by the British Government to Russia in the winter of 1912-13 to return the visit of the Duma to England. In the Great War he was director of Purchases of Nitrate of Soda for the Allies (see 'Antony & Dorothea Gibbs' by J.A. Gibbs p.389). Chevalier of the Legion of Honour (?1918). Created Baron Hunsdon of Hunsdon 24 July 1923. First speech in the House of Lords 7 July 1924, the subject being 'Trade and Unemployment'. Chairman of the City of London Club 1928-31; Member of the Carlton Club, Pall Mall, from 1910. Author of 'History of Gibbs of Fenton' in Dartington (1925), 'The Parish Registers of Hunsdon (1915)', several pamphlets on Bimetallism and the Currency, 1894-5, including 'A Bimetallic Primer' 1894 (rd ed. 1896), and one on 'The Incidence of Income Tax and Wasting Securities (1904)'. His evidence on 'Wasting Assets Abroad' before the Royal Comn. on Income Tax of 1920 is in an appendix to their Report.
He bought Biggens in the parish of Hunsdon and the lordship of the Manor of Hunsdon in 1908. His successive London residences from 1885 were 34 York Terrace, 17 Portman Street, 9 Portman Square (1898-1923), all in St. Marylebone.
Portraits: Drawing by W.E. Miller, 1882, another by E.U. Eddis in a group with his mother and brother Vicary, 1860, both in possession of Lord Aldenham. Oil, three quarter length, 1891, by W. Ouless, R.A., at Briggens (copy by Miss Richardson in possession of A.Gibbs & Sons). Crayon by John Hay, presentation from City of London Conservative Association, 1932, in possession of Antony D. Gibbs, 5th Lord Aldenham.