John Arthur Gibbs

Born1860 St. Mark's, Torwood
Died1949 Surrey
FatherRev. John Lomax Gibbs (1832 – 1914)
MotherIsabel Marianne Bright (1835 – 1920)

Life Events

1902Married Emily Gertrude Franck Bright in St. Peter's-in-the-East, Oxford
1902Birth of son Christopher John Gibbs OBE
1904Birth of son Antony James Gibbs
1906Birth of son Evelyn Arthur Gibbs
1909Birth of daughter Angela Gertrude Gibbs
1910Death of daughter Angela Gertrude Gibbs
1912Birth of son Rev. Martin Franck Gibbs
1914Death of father Rev. John Lomax Gibbs
1917Death of son Evelyn Arthur Gibbs
1920Death of mother Isabel Marianne Bright

Biography and Notes

1st son. Born at Collina (now the Vicarage), Torwood, Torquay, 27 October and baptised 7 December 1860 at St. Mark's, Torwood. Educated at Winchester College 1874-8, matric. at Oxford (Keble College), 28 January 1879; 1st class Science (biology) and BA 1882; MA 1925. Died 9 July 1949 and was buried at St. James' Abinger, Surrey. Will proved.

Joined Antony Gibbs & Sons, London 1882; in Liverpool with Antony Gibbs & Sons & Co., 1882-3; in Melbourne, Australia, with Gibbs Bright. & Co., 1885-9 (a manager there 1889); a partner in Gibbs & Co. Chile (Valparaiso and Iquique) 1890-6; a manager in the London firm 1896 and partner therein 1897 to 31 December 1930, when he retired. Director of the Mexican Railway Co. from 1905 and of the Indemnity Assurance Co. from 1906. Churchwarden of St. James', Abinger, of St. Martin Outwich, of St. Helen's, City of London, from 1920. On the council of Keble College, Oxford, from 1925. Author of 'The History of Antony & Dorothea Gibbs' and of the 'Early Years of Antony Gibbs & Sons', published 1922, and editor of the third edition of the family pedigree. Author of Abinger Parish Church published October 1938 (all his notes are available on-line at and view 'Other Documents' on this page. His Chilean War Diaries are in the possession of Julian R. GIbbs

Residences: after marriage, 20 Cleveland Gardens, Paddington, 1902 - March 1931, and Goddards, Abinger, Surrey, leased from 1914, bought by his wife, 1927. Goddards was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1898-9 for Sir Frederick Mirrilees. The house was intended for Sir Frederick's daughter Cecilia (afterwards Mrs Craven) and until she needed it, it was used as a rest home for nurses.

St Cecilia's badge is carved outside the front entrance. After the house was enlarged in 1910 it was occupied for a short time by Sir Frederick's son, Donald Mirrilees and his wife. Mrs. Craven never lived there. It is a fine example of the relationship between house and garden which was of paramount importance to Lutyens (see Edwin Lutyens Architectural Monographs 6, Academy Editions, London, 1979). The garden was designed by Gertrude Jekyll and is mentioned in 'Gardens Old and New' edited by H. Avray Tipping, MA, FSA, Vol. III (pub. about 1912 by Country Life). Distinct reservations on its architectural merits are expressed by Pevsner in the vol. on Surrey in the 'Buildings of England' Series, pub. by Penguin Books, 1st edition 1962, 2nd edition. 1971, however it is the subject of one of the books in Brian Edwards' "Architecture in Detail" series (Goddards, Lutyens by Brian Edwards published by Phaidon Press Ltd 1996).