Biography and Notes
Trained in his father's business, from the age of 15 he paid 6 visits of 6 to 10 months each to the Peninsula (Portugal and Spain) between 1801 and 1807. Present in Cadiz at the Spanish revolt against the French in June 1808, he reopened his father's house of business there and remained till 1810. Partner with his father in Antony Gibbs & Sons, London, (and in the Cadiz branch) from the founding of the firm in Sep. 1808. From 1815 till he died he was head of Antony Gibbs & Sons, who, under him and his brother William, opened branches at Gibraltar 1818, Lima 1822, Arequipa and Guayaquil 1823, Valparaiso 1826 (see the History of the Business in the book 'Antony and Dorothea Gibbs' by J.A. Gibbs). A director of the London Assurance Corporation 1822-42. A member of the club 'Nobody's Friends' 1832-42 and of the 'City of London Club' 1840-2. A member of the London Committee which (1832-5), with the Bristol Committee, promoted the Great Western Railway, and an original Director of that Company 1835-42. Between 1819 and 1840 he and his brother William voluntarily completed the payment of those of their father's and grandfather's debts which were still outstanding from their bankruptcy in 1789. A few months before he died in 1842 he succeeded to most of the properties (for particulars see the book 'Antony and Dorothea Gibbs' by J.A. Gibbs) which his cousins Sarah (died April 1842) and Anne Noyes (died Dec. 1841) had inherited in 1814 from their uncle Robert Hucks of Aldenham, Herts (his mother's 2nd cousin): namely as heir at law to Sarah he received Aldenham House and other estates in Herts, and Middlesex; and under Anne's will, on Sarah's death, estates in Oxon and Berks, and in Lambeth, Surrey. With these properties he became lord of the manors of North Moreton, Berks (sold by his son Henry), Burston, Herts. (sold by his grandson, Alban), and Clifton Hampden, Oxon; and patron and lay rector of the last named. His residence was 2 Powis Place 1817-21, 11 Bedford Square 1821-42 (both in the Borough of Holborn). For note of portraits and sculptures of him see the book 'Antony and Dorothea Gibbs' by J.A. Gibbs, p. 435 and the Additions of 1927, to which add that a replica or copy of the portrait by Edmund Gill was in possession of Lord Cullen in 1932, who also had a miniature by Miss Ross (1860) (? founded on a portrait by Gill of 1843); and that a portrait in oils belonged to A. Gibbs and Sons (in 1932) after the min by Ross in Lord Aldenham's possession.