Biography and Notes
Baron Wraxall (1928). First Lord Wraxall of Tyntesfield. Privy Councillor. Baptised 3 August 1873 at Wraxall, Somerset. Educated at Eton College 1887-92; matric. at Oxford (Christ Church) 1892, BA 1897, MA 1903. Buried 31 October 1931 at Wraxall aforesaid. Will 24 January 1930, proved 14 July 1932.
At Oxford he was Master of Christ Church Beagles. He travelled in Europe, Egypt and Morocco 1897-8. He succeeded to his father's estates, but sold (1907) the property in Alphington and Whitestone and the advowson of the former. He also sold the advowson of Otterbourne, remaining patron of the livings of Clyst St. George and Exwick in Devon, Stowe-nine-churches in Northants, Flax Bourton and North Newton in Somerset and St. Michael's in Paddington.
Lord of the Manor of Wraxall, Somerset, from 1928.
A Justice of the Peace for Somerset (Long Ashton petty sessional division) from 1898 and a Deputy Lieutenant for the County from 1911. President of the Dolphin Society of Bristol, 1908. President of the Somerset Society 1912-22. Member of Parliament (Conservative) for West Bristol 1906-24 and 1921-8 (in 1924 he was elected by a majority of 17,300 a very great one for those days). He was Bristol's senior Member 1922-8. Parliamentary Secretary (1917-19) to his father-in-law, Walter H. Long, the Secretary of State for the Colonies. A Conservative Whip in the House of Commons 1917-24, and 1924-8. Treasurer of the King's Household 1921-4, and again 1924-8. Privy Councillor from 1923.
Created in 1928 Baron Wraxall 'of Clyst St. George in the County of Devon'.
2nd Lieut. North Somerset Yeomanry Regiment Jan. 1893; Capt. September 1895; Major about 1902. Lieut. Col. 1908. He volunteered for service abroad on the outbreak of the South African (Boer) War of 1899-1902 and served in that war in 1900-01 with a Company of N. Somerset Yeo. (48th Company of the Imperial Yeomanry) which was body-guard to the commander in chief, Lord Roberts, in his campaign from Bloemfontein to Pretoria in May and June, 1900. Hon. Lieut, in the Army 1901. South African War medal and 4 clasps. He was in command of his regiment 1909 till he retired December 1913. "Territorial Decoration" 1913.
In the Great War he raised in 1914 and commanded till 1917 the 2nd Regiment (2/1) N. Som. Yeomanry, formed to supply drafts to the 1st Regt. which was on active service. He was Acting Brigadier General commanding his Regiment's Brigade (then on bicycles) at Ipswich, October, 1916-17). Territ. Army Reserve, 1917-28.
As a Freemason he was Permanent Grand Master for the Province of Bristol 1908-31 and in the spring of 1931 he was appointed by the Duke of Connaught (Grand Master) a member of the deputation of the Grand Lodge of England which attended the celebration in N. York of the bicentenary of Freemasonry in N. America.
Successive London residences: 35 Wilton Crescent,
1906-11, 22 Belgrave Square 1911-28, 81 Eaton Square from 1929, all in City of Westminster.
Among other Clubs member of the Carlton from 1906 and of Nobody's Friends from 1930.
His arms in the memorial window to his grandfather Antony Gibbs, in St. Michael's, Paddington, commemorate the long connection with that parish.
On the day of his funeral a memorial service held at St. Margaret's, Westminster, was attended by representatives of the King and Queen and of the Prime Minister.
Accounts of his life are in The London Times of 30 October and Bristol Times and Mirror of 29 Oct. 1931.
Portraits: By Archer (1875) with his mother, by E. Clifford (1878) with his brother Hubert and sister Albinia, by W. Walker (1882), by Cyril Cutler (1903) in hunting coat, by Albert H. Collings (1908) in uniform of N. Som. Yeomanry; all five were in his own possession in 1930.