Biography and Notes
2nd son of Antony Gibbs of Tyntesfield. Baptised 8 November 1874 at Wraxall, Somerset. Educated at Eton College, 1888-92; matric. Cambridge (Trinity Hall) 1893; BA 1897.
Tenant of his brother George from 1899 of Pytte, Clyst St. George. In the firm of Antony Gibbs & Sons in the City of London 1898-9. Partner from 1899 in Milford Snow & Co. (The City Bank) Exeter, since united with Sanders & Co. (The Exeter Bank) later the National Provincial Bank, Ltd., of which he was a local director. Among many other official occupations in Devon, member of The Tuckers' Hall, Exeter, from 1906, President for 1912. President of Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital 1923-5. Treasurer from 1930. Chairman of St. Thomas' (Exeter) District Council and Chairman of St. Thomas' Guardians' Committee. Member of the Devon County Council and of the Devon Standing Joint Committee; Treasurer of the Board of Finance of Diocese of Exeter to July 1930, vice-Chairman from July 1930; Treasurer of the East Devon Hunt, and of sundry other institutions. Chairman of the Devon and Exeter Dispensary, 1909, of the West of England Institution for the Blind, 1912, and of the Devon and Exeter Institution, 1929. A Justice of the Peace for Devon from 1922. A Trustee of St. Michael's Home, Cheddar. Member of the Carlton Club from 1913.
2nd Lieut. North Somerset Yeomanry, 1895; Lieut., December 1898; Captain 1904; Major, June 1912. Coronation Medal of King Edward VII, 1903. Territorial Decoration, 1915. In the Great War served with the North Somerset Yeo., 4 August 1914 to Mar. 1917, and was in France with them 2 November 1914 to May 1915, the Regt. being part of the 6th Cavalry Brig, of 3rd Cav. Division under Major General The Hon. Julian Byng now Lord Byng of Vimy. In command of 3rd N. Som. Yeo. at Bath May 1915-March 1917; on Quarter Master General's Staff of Southern Command at Salisbury May 1917 to end of the War. Medals of the War, 1914 Star, British War Medal, Allies' (Victory) Medal.
He was a proficient carpenter, electrician and mechanic, turning articles in ivory and wood on his lathe, an art he had learned from his father. In 1923 he made a gavel and block to be used by the Chairman of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital Committee. The gavel is still in the possession of the Hospital and is stamped "A. H. Gibbs 1923, R.D.E.H. Fecit". During the Second World War he became an Air-raid Warden and was given the Defence Medal at the end of the war.
Clyst St. George Church. (Extract from A. Hubert Gibbs obituary in the Express and Echo and Western Morning News, 31 July 1957). "After the destruction of the church by enemy action in 1940, it was rebuilt thanks to his untiring energy and patience, in a style which has won warm approval by its beauty and comfort. In this cause he obtained grants and raised funds, chose the best architect and builders available, and selected the most suitable designs for the lovely east and west windows. He was also the prime mover in the erection of the Parish Hall, of which he was a trustee and the first chairman." It is believed that this church was the first in England to be destroyed in the Second World War (by incendiaries). With his own hands he salvaged the two oldest Gibbs' memorials: to John Gibbe, 1592 (brass); and to George Gibbs (stone), 1692, which he put in a wheelbarrow and reassembled in a cow shed at Pytte, where it remained until the rebuilding in 1950, when it was put together again (not quite complete) by Herbert Read. The church was re-dedicated on 4 July 1952. Architects: Nicholson & Rushton, Lincolns Inn; Builders, Dart & Francis Ltd., Crediton; Windows (east and west), by Hugh Easton, London. Bells: recast and rehung by Hughes & Stainbank of Whitechapel, London.
The Reredos and Bosses were the gift of William Otter Gibbs from Barrow Court oratory.
There is a memorial to Hubert, Mercy and their son Evan in the form of altar rails by Herbert Read, 1948, and altar rail gates by Herbert Read (son) 1961.
Portraits: Pastel by H.M. Heaton last in possession of his son Antony; one by E. Clifford (1878) was in possession of Lord Wraxall in 1930.