Biography and Notes
Baptised 19 September 1883 at St. Paul's, Clifton. Educated at Eton College 1896-1901 (Miss Evans' house) and Royal Military College, Sandhurst, 1901-2. Buried at Barrow Gurney. Memorial Inscription there.
2nd Lieut. 10th Prince of Wales' Own Hussars, November 1902; Lieut., June 1904; Capt., October 1907; Major, February 1915. Retired, Sep. 1919, with rank of Lieut. Col. joining the Reserve of Officers. Brevet Col, Mar. 1932. In command of 5th Battalion The Somerset Light Infantry from 1928. Member of the Somerset Territorial Association from 1928. Was with his Regiment in India at Mhow, 1903-6, at Rawal Pindi,1906-12. In India played for his Regiment in the winning team in inter-regimental polo matches, 1908, 1909, 1911, 1912. Durbar Medal (1912). Attached to the Egyptian Army, June 1912-June1914 (Khor Shambat and Shendi).
In the Great War was in operations in France and Belgium, 1914-18; he embarked for France 11 Aug. 1914, attached to Headquarters 3rd Cavalry Brigade; joined 18th Hussars 3 Sep., and rejoined 10th Hussars, 20 October Wounded 1 Nov. at the 1st Battle of Ypres near Hooge, he rejoined from England, 12 March 1915. Wounded again at the 2nd Battle of Ypres near Potije, he returned to France 19 August 1915. At various times, 1915-18, was Acting Lieut. Col. 10th Hussars. Seconded to Tank Corps, 9 June 1918. Slightly wounded again, 23 August 1918, but remained on duty. His war service ended with a fourth wound suffered 17 October l918 near Vaud Audigny. (Mentioned in Despatches, Gazette, May 1917. Medals, 1914 Star; British War Medal; Allies' (Victory) Medal.
Member of Somerset County Council from 1922. Justice of the Peace for Somerset (Long Ashton petty sessional division) from 1924. Succeeded his father as owner of the Manor and Advowson of Barrow Gurney. Fellow of SS. Mary and Nicolas afsd. 1924-30. Fellow of SS. Mary and Andrew afsd. from 1927. A Trustee of St. Michael's Home afsd. (Chairman from 1928). An original member (1923) of the Council of St. Monica's Home of Rest at Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol. Deputy Lieut. Somerset, 1935; High Sheriff, 1936; Hon. Col. 5th Battalion Somerset L.I. 1936; A.D.C. to The King, 1938.
His residences since marriage: 6 Evelyn Gardens, Kensington, 1915; Down Ampney House, Glos., 1916-17; Sheldon Manor, Chippenham, Wilts., 1917-23 (still owned); The Home Farm, Barrow Gurney, 1923-28; Barrow Court from 1928.
Portraits: by J. C. Horsley, R.A. (1886); by G. Anderson (1905); by Francis Crawley-Boevey; min. by Miss Hall; oil by T. Binney Gibbs (1930) no relation, last all in possession of his son Martin Antony Gibbs, except the one by Anderson (destroyed).