Biography and Notes
Caroline sold the lease of 11 Bedford Square in 1849 and resided at Aldenham House 1846-50. In 1843-6 she built at Clifton Hampden, where her brother in law Joseph Gibbs was Perpetual Curate, a new parsonage to take the place of the old one which Anne Noyes gave in 1832. By a re-exchange in 1905 the former is now the Manor House and the latter has since been demolised. She also completely restored the church of St. Michael of All Angels there, mainly with money set aside by her husband when he inherited the property, but with contributions added by herself, and her son Henry. G Gilbert Scott was her architect in both cases. The Living was augmented under her Will. See article on Clifton Hampden in the book 'Antony & Dorothea Gibbs' by J.A. Gibbs pp. 447-50. For her 'Royal Descent' see entry for her father, Rev. Charles Crawley. For note of portraits of her see the book 'Antony & Dorothea Gibbs' by J.A. Gibbs p. 435, to which add that a copy was in possession of Lord Cullen (in 1932) of Sir William Ross's miniature, done by Ross's daughter under her father's supervision. Caroline was buried at Clifton Hampden. Monumental Inscription in church and church yard there and in Aldenham church. Her Will was printed on 16 July 1950 at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, Doctors Commons, London.