Biography and Notes
Baptised 14 December 1879 at St. Helen's, Abingdon. Educated at Haileybury College, 1893-8, matric. at Oxford (Keble College) 1898, BA 1904, MA 1908. Student at Cuddesdon Theological College, 1904. Buried at Didmarton 2 February 1952. Memorial Tablet in St. John Baptist's Church, Shipton Moyne, nr. Tetbury.
At Haileybury he won mile and half mile races 2 years; at Keble College the half and quarter mile 3 years. President of Keble Coll. Athletic Club 1901. At Oxford House, Bethnal Green, 1902. Travelled round the world with a pupil 1903. Deacon 1904; Priest 1905. Curate of St. Pancras in the Borough of that name 1904-8; member of the Bush Brotherhood of Charleville, Queensland, 1908-11; Vicar of St. Frideswide's, Poplar, and Head of the Christ Church (Oxford) Mission there 1911-13; Vicar of Christ Church Telford Road, Kensington, 1913-19; Vicar of Badminton, co. Glos. from 1919.
Chaplain to the North Somerset Yeomanry 1911-30. In the Great War he was chaplain to the Australian Voluntary Hospital at Wimereux January-April 1915; to the 8th Cavalry Brigade (Brit. Exp. Force) September 1915-18; to the Garrison and Hospitals at Exeter February-July 1918; to the 3rd Cavalry Division (B.E.F.) 1918-19. Mentioned in despatches 1917; Military Cross 1918. 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, and Allies' (Victory) Medal of the Great War.
Rector of Shipton Moyne 1937-50. Rural Dean of Tetbury, Glos. Hon. Canon of Gloucester. Special Constable (Head) in 2nd World War. Chairman of Tetbury Grammar School.
Portrait: Pastel by W. E. Miller last in possession of his daughter Sheila (Countess of Morton).